SmileyCentral.com

Monday, December 22, 2008

And there Twas.....

My friend Cliff blogged about the political correctness of Christmas Trees in one of his recent posts. There is an apparent continuing discourse in Corporate America, as well as in the Halls of Power, about the proper naming convention for a symbol of Christmas cheer -- the good 'ol Tannenbaum. Be that as it may, I was reminded that no one has contemplated renaming the menorah and my Jewish friends seem to be quite happy to help us celebrate the spirit of the season. We eat latkas and they come over for our Christmas brunch and everyone is happy.

In keeping with the season, the overall title of the blog, and my own perverse sense of humor, I decided to do a little investigative work on the American origins of the St. Nick phenomenon, just in case we need to rename him as well. My first source (wikipedia -- is there anyone who does NOT love it!) led me to remember the "TWas the Night Before Christmas."

You can see the connection, right? And it is this poem that is credited with the current concept of Santa and all that goes with it. Is that a good thing? I guess that depends who you ask, but for me, I truly enjoy the spirit and the concept embodied within that poem. It's a little bit about mystery, a little about cheer, a little about wishful thinking, and a little about dedication and commitment. Santa is a working man and not afraid to get his hands dirty (forget about the veiled breaking and entering reference -- that's the mystery part).

For those who prefer a more sober Christian interpretation (i.e., less commercialized), I respect their desire and traditions as well. No need for everyone to celebrate everything the same way, is there? It seems to me that in this season of ice storms, snow storms, and economic turmoil, a little cheer and good will toward all will go a long, long way toward resolving any perceived conflict in the naming rights to a Tree!

Menorah Blown Fuse

No comments: