SmileyCentral.com

Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Next Crisis


While I am by no means an avid diver or naturalist, I do marvel at the beauty and biodiversity found beneath the water's surface. A fifth of the world's coral reefs, one of the most extraordinary sights I've seen, is currently considered lost. These structures, oases in a vast water waste land, are under attack from rising water acidity (due to CO2 absorption) and rising water temperatures. Now I know that in the past I have voiced my thoughts about the human role in global warming (not in this blog) and I will go on record here to state unequivocally that I believe we are the primary reason for our current changes in climate. The report accompanying the global survey claims we need to limit climate change to the absolute minimum and substantially cut emissions if we want to save coral reefs.

DUH!!!

I wholeheartely agree and I am willing to do my part. But we do have bigger problems than the disappearing coral reefs, their undeniable beauty notwithstanding. It seems to me that the preservation of the reefs would be a very welcome side effect of the more strategic imperatives of reducing our dependence on fossil fuels and creating a new, more sustainable, economic model that will preserve our leadership role in the world. With "pay-option" mortgages coming as the next wave of defaults and foreclosures, unemployment claims at a 26-year high, extremists in Belgium (of all places), and snow in New Orleans, it is hard to figure out where our next crisis will come from. I wonder if FDR's inaugural quote (paraphrased) still holds true; that all we have to fear is fear itself.

I surely hope so.....

1 comment:

C R Krieger said...

"the more strategic imperatives of reducing our dependence on fossil fuels and creating a new, more sustainable, economic model that will preserve our leadership role in the world."

I say amen. If Climate Change was not an issue, our unchanged dependence on fossil fuels would be a long term economic death trap. We need new thinking. And, energy is one of the markets that is not going away. In fact, it is a hot investment area today. The question is, will Secretary of Energy designate, Nobel Laureate Dr Steven Chu, bring us the kind of thinking we need to head off in new directions that are productive and effective? Here is Dr Chu talking about future enery options.

I am encouraged.

Regards -- Cliff